I know most of you would never think that outfits are based on science, math w/ a side of hearty art but they are. Embracing your shape is all about proportions and drawing attention to certain aspects to make an outfit balance but these are all only guidelines and not rules hence the mix of hard science and math w/ Art! Does Fashion have rules though? Nope. Fashion tends to take after the Pirates of the Caribbean mantra. The Fashion code is more like guidelines than actual rules!
If we're all honest with ourselves style is something you have to face everyday whether you enjoy it or not. It's a shame that this thing we have to do everyday is something that most of us have never had classes on to learn the foundations of! You can either spend time initially so you don't have to spend time later or spend time later in frustration and extra time being unsure of yourself every morning.
ITS NOT ABOUT CLOTHES IT'S ABOUT FINDING YOUR CONFIDENCE & JOY. It's about having your inside match your outside, it's about saving time & making those first impressions count. Whether you want to or not everyday you have to make first impressions because you will always see someone new.
A FEW FASHION GUIDELINES!
Here are a few tips to consider to make that arch nemesis piece your new fave!
1. Create a V-neck- Now this doesn't mean you always have to buy only v-necklines at all! Add a pendant necklace to create that v-shape or embrace the cold shoulder trend. To create an opposite V. There is a reason the trend has taken off! PRO TIP: Look for more of a L-shape cut out if you find cold shoulder tops to not be flattering on you. Scarves are also great for lending a helping hand. Or the next time you are out shopping look for a print that accents that v-shape!
2. Belt it- or find styles that draw attention to your waist. Thank the trend forecasting peeps this year for this actually being on trend! Makes it way more easier to find while out shopping!
3. Say hello to mom jeans- Ahem I mean high waisted fabulousness! Because thankfully the high waisted denim of today are nothing like the denim of the 80's! They have come a long way! Hello 4-way stretch spandex. Tucking in your favorite basic tee/tank with a cardigan over top will draw attention to your waist to give your outfit the look you know its been missing but couldn't put your finger on.
4. Layer with a structured jacket- Not just great for the men in your life! & Who ever thought cold weather could be your new best friend? A greatly made jacket will tailor in at the waist and flow out slightly to accentuate your shape. Even the casual cargo jackets of the season tend to have a string you can tighten to achieve this!
5. Balance Shape- Yeah we hear it all the time. But what does it actually mean? For example, it means that since it is sweater weather and those cozy sweaters tend to bulkier, balancing out your bottom half with a legging or skinny jean. Yes I promise you can pull them off. It means that embracing the midi skirt trend of the season that is oh so chic is balanced with a structured button down or lightweight tucked in sweater.
Disclaimer: Remember though these are just tips not hard fast rules. THERE ARE NO RULES IN FASHION. Thats what makes it so fun!