Your Style should feel like home. You should feel at ease in it. Like a nice snuggly blanket engulfing you in love.
So how do we develop our style? Style is a mixture of past events, movies, people you've admired, friends etc. that you've taken bits and parts of what you've enjoyed and combined them into one cohesive look. YOUR STYLE IS NOT RANDOM. It's YOU.
There is a reason for it. It's an extension of you. Just like you decorate your house full of things you love, clothing decorates your body full of things you think are neat and cool and want to say about yourself whether you want them to or not.
Big baggy clothes often say you don't want to be noticed or you want to look like modern day Mary Kate & Ashley. People who love bold prints and colors often have those bold bubbly personalities to go with it! Our personality plays a huge roll in how we dress. The book "Wired that Way" talks about four different personality types. Sanguine, Choleric, Phlegmatic, & Melancholy. This often directly correlates with what we like in our clothes. For example I am a mix of sanguine & phlegmatic which means I like my clothes to be comfortable and not full of prints but I like a pop to each outfit. It correlates perfectly to my personality profile. Now this doesn't mean you can't mask certain personalities which you will learn in the book if or when you read it but often when you haven't discovered a style that you like or if you change it daily it often means that you first need to learn who you are.
SOME TIPS TO HELP YOU HONE IN ON YOUR STYLE
1. BABY STEPS- Start by setting aside time to flip through a variety of magazines and cut out pieces that you find appealing, it could be movies, outfits, places, influential people, things, It doesn't specifically need to be clothing! Other aspects can say a lot about what you enjoy, such as colors, textures, etc.
2. COMPILE- Glue them all to a board and just choose your favorites! OR if you're more the Pinterest person you can do it on Pinterest OR photoshop would be better with images from online. Then you can make the images you like best bigger than the others!
3. EXECUTE- Print it out or enjoy your glued board of gorgeous images and ask yourself some questions as you correlate it to your style! (Hey I have a pen that has glue on one side, theres beauty in the hands-on side of things haha You never know when you may need to glue something! haha)
4. TRANSLATE- Look at the color palette your board leads towards. Jewel tones? Pastels? Neutrals? Neutrals w/ a pop? etc. Write down which prints you liked. Are the outfits more fitted? Looser? Mixture?
5. NAME GAME- Name your style! It doesn't need to make sense. This is for you! And it's fun! When you name it, it's easier to decide while out shopping if a piece fits the theme of your closet.
If you need help feel free to send me pictures of your board and I can help you name it!